What Is Amphotericin B?
Amphotericin B is an antifungal medication that fights infections caused by fungus.
Amphotericin B is used to treat serious, life-threatening fungal infections. It is not for use in treating a minor fungal infection such as a yeast infection of the mouth, esophagus, or vagina.
Amphotericin B may also be used for purposes not listed in this medication guide.
This medicine is for serious, life-threatening fungal infections. It is not for use in treating a minor fungal infection (yeast infection) of the mouth, esophagus, or vagina.
Do not use amphotericin B in larger amounts than recommended. An overdose can cause death.
You should not receive this medicine if you are allergic to any formulation of amphotericin B (Abelcet, AmBisome, Amphocin, Amphotec, or Fungizone).
To make sure amphotericin B is safe for you, tell your doctor if you have:
- heart disease;
- kidney disease;
- an electrolyte imbalance (such as low levels of potassium or magnesium in your blood);
- if you are receiving blood transfusions; or
- if you are receiving radiation treatments.
Amphotericin B is not expected to harm an unborn baby. Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant during treatment.
It is not known whether amphotericin B passes into breast milk or if it could harm a nursing baby. You should not breast-feed while using this medicine.
Amphotericin B Side Effects
Get emergency medical help if you havesigns of an allergic reaction: hives; wheezing, difficult breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.
Call your doctor at once if you have:
- pale skin, easy bruising;
- blood in your stools;
- a light-headed feeling, like you might pass out;
- seizure (convulsions);
- jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes);
- build-up of fluid in your lungs--anxiety, sweating, gasping for breath, cough with foamy mucus, chest pain, fast or uneven heart rate;
- signs of a kidney problem--little or no urination; painful or difficult urination; swelling in your feet or ankles; feeling tired or short of breath;
- low potassium--confusion, uneven heart rate, extreme thirst, increased urination, leg discomfort, muscle weakness or limp feeling; or
- signs of new infection--fever, chills, flu symptoms, mouth and throat ulcers, rapid and shallow breathing.
Common side effects may include:
- nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, diarrhea;
- upset stomach, loss of appetite;
- muscle or joint pain;
- headache, ringing in your ears;
- pain, bruising, or swelling where the medicine was injected;
- weight loss; or
- flushing (warmth, redness, or tingly feeling).
Amphotericin B Interactions
Follow your doctor's instructions about any restrictions on food, beverages, or activity.
Other drugs may interact with amphotericin B, including prescription and over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. Tell each of your health care providers about all medicines you use now and any medicine you start or stop using.
Amphotericin B Dosage
Amphotericin B is injected into a vein through an IV. A healthcare provider will give you this injection.
The medicine must be given slowly through an IV infusion, and can take from 2 to 6 hours to complete.
Tell your caregivers if you feel any burning, pain, or swelling around the IV needle when amphotericin B is injected.
Amphotericin B may need to be given for up to several weeks or months, depending on the infection being treated.
While receiving amphotericin B, you may need frequent blood tests.
Use this medicine for the full prescribed length of time. Your symptoms may improve before the infection is completely cleared. Skipping doses may also increase your risk of further infection that is resistant to antifungal medicine. Amphotericin B will not treat a viral infection such as the common cold or flu.
Seek emergency medical attention or call the Poison Help line at 1-800-222-1222.An overdose of amphotericin B can be fatal.
Call your doctor for instructions if you miss an appointment for your amphotericin B injection.
Copyright 1996-2019 Cerner Multum, Inc.
Video: The Role of Amphotericin
6 Ways to Lose Weight Without Feeling Hungry All the Damn Time
7 Ways Public Health Could Help You Lose Weight
How to Make a Sheep Costume
Iconic French Couturier Madame Carven Has Died Aged 105
Pansy Lollipops Recipe
Proof That Tricking Out Your Ceilings Is a DecorGame-Changer
Kate Moss branches out into hair care
How to Start a Fabric Store
Caffeine can only replace sleep for a limited time
Burberry Visits Adwoa Aboah’s Family Home in Ghana
Youll Soon Be Able To Drink Water From Sydney Harbour...But Would You Really Want To
Lotus Showcases Its Latest Little Track Monster
How to Get a Boy to Dance With You and then Kiss You at the End (Middle School)
MORE: How To Remove Stains: 20 Genius Tricks That Really Work
Janelle Monáes Protégés, St. Beauty, Will Brighten Up Your Winter