How to Be Weird
It seems like everyone is sort of the same nowadays, doesn't it? Sometimes being yourself isn't enough, you need to be a little weird to stand out. The one thing to remember before jumping into this guide: you want to be weird, not crazy! Find a balance to be seen as endearing and weird, not a loose cannon.
Invent your own places, and customs.Invent a holiday, give it a weird name, and then when the day comes around, get decked out. Talk about a place you went that no one's ever heard of. Your holiday is celebrated there and you can show your friends the timeless customs of this magical place if they'd like.
- Nowadays, every day is something, but no oneactuallycelebrates it. Is it National Pancake Day? Walk around handing out pictures of pancakes, telling everyone that you’re trying to spread the word about this hidden breakfast treat but do be aware Shrive Tuesday, or Pancake Day, is celebrated widely in the UK and other Common Wealth countries. To be truly weird, pick a holiday or commemorative day not widely known anywhere.
Talk to random people in the streets and say ridiculous things.Try "Hello Granny! I haven't seen you in years!" while grinning, of course, or "Oh my gosh! Are you okay?" When they are clearly alive, fine and well. Just make sure you're picking someone who will laugh, and not someone who will think you're crazy.
- Ask random people if they've seen a rhino, and elephant, etc., "anywhere around here." Seem serious about it. But, of course, after a couple of minutes of pulling their leg, you may want to admit that it's a joke!
- Pretend like you don't know what some specific, common things are. When your friend asks you if you want a banana, say, "What's a banana?"
- Of course, some people may think you’re certifiably crazy and may think you’re harassing them. Choose your targets carefully and always do things with a smile on your face, showing you mean no harm.
Overreact to the little things.For example, if you see a slinky, act as if it's a great discovery. Or, if you do a minor bad thing, like forget to push in your chair or crease a piece of paper, be inconsolable. How could you dare to do such a terrible thing?! No one will be able to tell if you're serious or not!
- If you see your friend step on an ant, say, “Oh no! What have you done?! Oh, little ant, your life was so short and meaningless! I’m so sorry!” And then move on, happy as a clam.
- Only do this on occasion. Again, if people can't predict your behavior, they'll probably just think you've lost your marbles.
Have strange taste in food.For instance, say, "Oh my gosh! Are those Oreos? They're so spicy! I never knew they sold them here!" or "These pickles taste like my brother's wallpaper."
- Try foods most people don't eat or foods that people eat, but wouldn't eat the way you're eating. For example, bring a lemon to lunch and eat it like an orange, or put an orange in between two pieces of bread for an "orange sandwich."
Have your own signature thing.You want a thing that's quintessentially you. It should be quirky and something no one else you know does. You could put a little skip in your walk, make a noise after every time you sneeze, always wear hats everywhere, or be afraid of clams. Be creative!
- It could be how you say things, when you say things, or even just the way you laugh. The tinier the thing, the more it'll stand out, too.
Choose a strange hobby.You want to do something that no one else does, like collecting packing peanuts and turning them into sculptures, making piñatas, painting your nose, or writing bad poetry about Jackalopes. Who knows? If you're original enough you could turn it into a business!
- This hobby could be a strange pet, such as a pet rock, a pet ladder, a pet soda can, or a pet sneaker. Take it everywhere with you, and converse with it. Soon enough, you’ll be the person “with the pet rock.” If you don’t have it, eventually people will start asking you where it is!
- Make sure you have loyal friends who won't ditch you for being weird.
Make up new words.Ninjas have ninjosity and ninjitude, for example. Use these words constantly, just like they’re real words. If someone tells you something is not a word, tell them it is now! Explain philosophically why.
- Can't come up with something? Take a couple of your favorite words and mash them together. Your favorite words are bubble and flamingo? Bubbingo, it is. Now what's a bubbingo?
Speak with strange accents.One day you fancy yourself Irish, one day you're French, and the next day you're Chinese. Why not? You could even invent your own accent if you'd like. Perhaps it's the accent of that made-up place you go to?
- wikiHow has a great article on speaking gibberish. That's a way of speaking your own language that is very easy to learn. If your friends learn it too, you could be "weird" together!
- Wildly fluctuate the tone and pitch of your voice at different times, too. Whisper when you don’t need to, sing your words, or talk very, very, very slowly whenever you feel like it. But be warned, this can really get on some people’s nerves!
Interject a half-thought into a conversation.For best results make sure your half-thought has nothing to do with the conversation. Is everyone talking about that new song on the radio? All of a sudden, you come in with, “Oh, man. Blueberries. They’re just so…”
- This is a good way to stop a conversation and get another one started. The current topic boring you? Say, "Did you see that TV show?" and your friends might be too distracted to go back to what they were originally thinking about.
Talk to yourself and inanimate objects.Don't do it all the time (otherwise you'll just look schizophrenic) – just if someone around is ignoring you. That’ll get them to pay attention to you for sure!
- A lull in the conversation? Friends boring you? Why not strike up a conversation with your notebook or your food? You could be the life of the party in no time! Weird, but the life of the party nonetheless.
Make up nicknames for all your friends.Use a different one every day. They don't have to be good! Take aspects of their personality or their look (without being mean of course) and think about what fits them.
- Or what doesn't fit them! Some nicknames are funny because they are so unfitting. Have a friend who's way taller than you? He's "short stuff" for today. A friend who loves puppies? Call her "cheese puffs" – it doesn't have to do with anything!
- Bear in mind that this may not work as well in Australia, where redheads are often nicknamed 'Bluey.'
Dress with clashing colors, textures, and patterns.Clothing is a major part of being crazy! Combine clashing colors or patterns to create outfits that can't help but stand out. Combine decades too, with new, modern clothes and vintage ones. Just make sure you're okay with everyone staring!
- Dress up in unusual clothing, too, such as fairy wings, witches' hats, or vampire teeth. Halloween costumes are always great, regardless of what day of the year it is.
Don't wear what everyone else is wearing.If people are wearing skinny jeans, wear ripped up bell bottoms. If people are wearing checkers, wear some crazy design. Mix it up. Try thrift stores to find unique looks. Being weird is all about doing your own thing and standing out.
- To be truly weird, this may mean wearing clothes you don't actually care for. After all, it's about being weird and not being fashionable, right? Raid your mom or dad's closet to get ideas that are truly inspirational.
Dress normally once in a while.When Halloween comes around, dress as someone completely normal. Choose other random, arbitrary days where you dress normal, too. Otherwise, people might just get used to what you wear.
- If you want to be weird, you have to be a little inconsistent. Being normal once in a while will highlight to others when you're being weird again. If you're weird all the time, they'll just come to expect it.
Don't be someone who you are not.Nowadays, everyone is trying to be something. By just being yourself, you'll be a little weird. Finding someone who's truly genuine is a rare occurrence. Embrace the quirks that come to you naturally – they may be enough.
- Everything will come a lot easier if you do as you're naturally inclined. If you fake being weird, you're just putting on a show, and it'll be hard to keep consistent. What's more, it may bring you down not being you. All the more reason to be yourself!
Don't pay attention to what others think.If you're concerned with your image, being weird will not come easy. You need to abandon what others expect of you and only think about what feels right to you. Your reputation does not matter – you are an oddball now.
- Whether you're an oddball or not, it shouldn't matter what others think. Those who matter won't mind who you are. Why should anyone else have any say in they you are or what you're like?
Wait for your reputation to precede you.Once you start acting weirdly, word will get around that you're a little odd. Eventually people will just come to expect it. You may do something totally normally and just because it's you, people will get a kick out of it. So be sure you want to be weird – because it may last a while!
- What's more, you may forget how to act normal. Habit makes practice, after all. If being weird doesn't work for you, it could be difficult to go back to the way you used to be. So be sure before you take the dive into weirdness that you're ready for the commitment.
Choose a new identity on occasion.Be Napoleon, the President, a princess, a prince, an elf, etc. Embody them in their look and in their personality. Hit up Halloween stores after Halloween for awesome discounts and make your own costumes, too.
- Try to think like them too! An elf wouldn't know what do with a cell phone, for example. When yours rings, you respond with, "Ahhh! What is this blasphemous contraption! How do I...hmm...interesting."
QuestionHow can I be weird by listening to music?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerListen to alternative genres, folks music, or other uncommon music you normally wouldn't hear on radio stations.Thanks!
QuestionPeople in school bully the weird people for being weird. If I want to be weird, what should I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust don't worry about what anybody thinks. Be yourself. Stand up for the kids that are being bullied. If anyone is being really cruel or threatening violence, tell an adult.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I STOP being weird?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you really want to stop being weird, just try to be quiet, tone it down, don't put yourself out there much. You should still be yourself, though.Thanks!
QuestionShould I wear regular clothing if I'm trying to be weird and don't have costumes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAbsolutely. You don't need costumes to be weird, you could just go through your closet and put together a funny mismatched outfit if you want.Thanks!
QuestionIs having a made-up character who looks funny weird?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNot really, it just means you're creative. You should look into taking an art or writing class.Thanks!
QuestionIf I like anime, does that make me weird?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo. Everybody has different tastes, and plenty of people like anime, there's nothing weird about it at all.Thanks!
QuestionWhat do I do if I'm failing to be weird?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIf you’re failing to be weird, maybe you just aren’t weird. Be yourself, you don’t have to be weird to be awesome!Thanks!
Why would this ever come in handy?
How do you be weird without being too odd
So what if I want to fit in more, do I just give it all up?
How do you get weird hobbies? And how do you dress weird after you have been normal after so long?
What do I do if I'm just weird anyway and want to act weirder?
- One other way to stand out from the crowd is to dye your hair an exotic color.
- Learn a foreign language and break out into a conversation or song at random times while people are talking to you!
- If someone says something insulting to you, or say you're weird in an insulting way. Make them feel like they just gave you the biggest compliment!
- Practice not laughing at yourself. You can practice with a friend, parent, stuffed animal, or even your pet rock!
- Try to keep a straight face when you say something like "beware of hooded cats bearing 87 carburetors towards apple pie."
- If someone is holding an object like a shoe, go up to them and say "You know, shoes are my favourite food. Mind if I..." and lean in, pretending to take a bite.
- Always ask questions or search random things at the back of your mind on the internet. Then you'll end up having a weird and useful collection of information in your mind.
- Be as random as possible, the more random the better!
- If you want to seem really strange and random, quote 'night blogger' posts from Tumblr. For example, hold up a pen and say "This pen will never know what a bagel tastes like." If the teacher asks if anyone has any questions, ask if pigeons have feelings. Tumblr is an almost inexhaustible resource for those in need of strangeness, and if no one gets the reference, they'll think you're original and a bit more than a bit odd, and if they have seen the post, they probably won't mind.
- You don't necessarily have to do all or any of this; just be yourself and if you are viewed as weird, take it as a compliment and embrace being different.
- Sometimes it makes you look weird if you pause randomly and just stare at a random object like a fire hydrant. Then just continue on.
- If you are near trees, act scared. Tell the branch of the tree to put it's branch down.
- Not recommended for people who have jobs as doctors, psychiatrists, those helping the mentally ill or disabled children and adults, and teachers, etc.
- Some of the steps in this manual can sound like you're acting, even to the public - therefore you could end up in a center for various crazy people. Psychotic is different from weird.
- When you are not acting weird, people may still treat you as if you are a complete weirdo.
- Remember, some jokes can be hurtful, so be careful not to offend anybody too much. There is a limit to what you can say about somebody. But still speak your mind, even if the person is hurt you shouldn't not say what you think, just don't be extremely blunt with it.
- Refrain from drooling, as it is perceived as creepy.
In other languages:
Español: , Italiano: , Русский: , Français: , Português: , Deutsch: , 中文:
Video: BEING WEIRD IN PUBLIC
How to Wear a Camisole
How to Ferment Cider Using Wild Yeasts
7 Ways Youre Ruining Your Arthritis Meds
How to Wear Ankle Boots and Jeans
How Age of Consent Laws Affect LGBT Teens
On the whole, I was really impressed by Trader Joes beauty products
How to Present Traditional Housewarming Gifts
3 Ways to Lay Brick
JoJo’s Dermatologist Refused to Give Her Botox
This Teen Asked His Mother to Prom After Learning The Heartbreaking Reason She Missed Her Own
How to Be Less Clumsy