How to Tell If You Have Combination Skin
Combination skin is actually the most . Many women think they have oily or dry skin, but, actually, have a combination of both. Most combination skin is oily in some spots and dry in others.
Here are the tell-tale signs that you have combination skin.
Combination Skin Characteristics
Most people's skin changes a lot over the course of the year. Skin is seasonally and hormonally affected.
Here are some signs you have combination skin:
- Your t-zone (forehead, down the nose to the chin) is oily, while your cheeks are dry.
- Your skin is oilier in summer and dry in winter. In spring and fall, your T-zone is oily while your cheeks are dry.
- When you are on your period, your skin may experience breakouts causing you to think your skin is oily. But once your period is over, the breakouts clear right up and your skin can become flaky.
Causes of Combination Skin
Oily skin is caused by overactive sebaceous (oil) glands. Heat and humidity will increase sebum production, which is why your t-zone may become super oily in the summer while your cheeks seem to normalize. In winter, when furnace heat kicks in and cold strips your skin of its natural oils, your oily spots may become more normal while your cheeks become dry and flaky.
Hormones can also cause your skin to over-produce oil in some areas while drying out in others.
You can thank your parents and your age for that. Once you hit menopause, however, your skin will produce much less oil and you'll be left with dry skin only.
How to Take Basic Care of Your Skin
The secret to treating combination skin is to spot treat your problem areas. Cleanse with a cleanser formulated to cut down on sebum production and use a moisturizer on your dry spots.
Exfoliate your face with a warm washcloth. This helps break down oils and helps remove dead skin.
Try a basic skincare routine:
- Wash with a cleanser formulated for oily skin in the summer and one formulated for normal to dry skin in the winter. Cleanse your skin at night and rinse off with warm water in the morning so you don't over-cleanse skin, again causing it to go into oil overproduction. See my list of See the Best Cleansers for Combination Skin.
- Moisturize your dry spots with a light, oil-free moisturizer, skipping your more oily spots in the summer. In the winter, you can moisturize all over with a heavier moisturizer. There are great moisturizers in this list.
- Exfoliate twice weekly with a gentle scrub. I list some great ones here.
- If you suffer from breakouts, an astringent may help but be careful to use it only on your problem spots, avoiding your dry skin areas. You may also use toners, which can be too drying for other skin types. But don't apply toner to your dry areas. See my article on toners, "Is Toner Really Necessary?"
Best Makeup for Combination Skin
Choose cream blush for your dry cheeks, except in summer when you can use powders. Prep skin with a moisturizer before smoothing on an oil-free foundation or tinted moisturizer.
To keep your eyeshadow from melting into your crease, use an eyeshadow primer or base.
In your oilier moments, carry blotting papers in your purse to soak up oils in your t-zone. Blotting papers won't mess up your makeup and will keep you from powdering your face too often -- upping your chances of clogging pores.
Video: 5 Signs You Have Combination Skin & How to Deal with Combination Skin for Beginners | Wishtrend TV
Ask Dr. Taz: Any Natural Remedies To Beat An Afternoon Slump
10Signs You Are inGood Shape Even IfYou Never Gotothe Gym
Save 5 a month on Apple Music, and 400 on Apples suite of Pro apps
Starbucks PSL Has Returned and Its Officially Pumpkin Spice Latte Season
10 of Adele’s Most Incredible Hair and Makeup Moments
Here’s why the north Norfolk minibreak is trending
How to Wake Up Late and Still Make It on Time
10 Peppy Pixie Cuts – Boy-Cuts Girlie-Cuts to Inspire
The ideal escape when you need to get out of the city
Heres a video showing how the case works
What Causes Brain Fog (7 Things You Can Do to Prevent and Stop It)
3 Rules for Finding Your Perfect SignatureAccessory